Need more information on this topic?
As the cold weather sets in, our skin is particularly prone to becoming dry, dull and flaky. A dehydrated complexion will emphasise fine lines and leave us looking older than our years. Thankfully, there are ways to maintain moisture and bring back skin that feels hydrated and looks glowing.
What is dry skin?
Dry skin has a low level of sebum (oil) and can be prone to sensitivity. The skin has a parched look caused by its inability to retain moisture. It usually feels "tight" and uncomfortable after cleansing unless moisturiser is applied. Chapping and cracking are signs of extremely dry, dehydrated skin.
Dryness is exacerbated by wind, extremes of temperature and air-conditioning, all of which cause the skin to flake, chap and feel tight. This type of skin is tightly drawn over bones. It looks dull, especially on the cheeks and around the eyes. There may be tiny expression lines on these spots and at the corners of the mouth.
What causes dry skin?
- The oil glands not producing sufficient sebum.
- Skin gets exposed to the elements especially in winter.
- Dry skin could be due to a genetic condition.
- Increasing age, resulting in decreased oil production.
- Poor diet. Nutritional deficiencies, especially deficiencies of essential fatty acids, vitamin A and the B vitamins, can also contribute to dry skin.
- Environmental factors such as exposure to sun, wind, cold, chemicals, or excessive bathing with harsh soaps.
- Excessive bathing, showering or swimming, especially in strongly chlorinated hot or cold water.
- Conditions such as dermatitis, eczema, psoriasis, or seborrhea.
Dry skin could also be related to
- This could be a sign of an underactive thyroid.
- Certain drugs, including diuretics, antispasmodics, and antihistamines, can contribute to dry skin.
- Frictional irritation and chapping.
Caci Treatment options for dry skin
- NEW Murad Hydrolyte Facial
- Murad AHA Rapid Exfoliator Facial
- Murad Resurgence Renewal Facial
- Murad Home Care Products
Need More Info or Help with Dry Skin?
Email us Your Questions and we'll get back to you with the answers or phone 0800 438 438 to speak to your friendly local Caci team, who will be able to advise you which treatments or products are right for you.