If you have been dreaming of having the perfect pout and looking into enhancing your natural lips then you may have heard the terms “Lip Flip” and “Lip Filler”. “Lip flip” is often used to describe the treatment of injecting Botox® into the upper lip. However, this is not the technical term in the industry. Cosmetic injectable treatments, such as Dermal filler and Botox® and Xeomin® are ideal for those seeking more luscious, full lips. If you’re wondering what is the difference between getting Botox® and Xeomin® injected into your upper lip and lip filler, we’ve got you covered. In this guide, we will give you an outline of both treatments and break down the key differences between the two so that you can understand which is the best option for your lips.
Over time, our lips, just like the rest of our skin, can start to lose volume and appear less plump. This happens due to a variety of factors including sun exposure, ageing and hormonal changes. A loss of volume in our lips can cause a loss of definition and fine lines can begin to form around the edges of the mouth. Injecting dermal filler can help with adding fullness to the lips and smooth out fine lip lines. Lip injectable treatments can also enhance and improve the shape of your lips and help you overcome insecurities you may feel, particularly if you have uneven lips or are unhappy with how much your gums show when smiling. Whatever your reason, you deserve to feel confident in your appearance and dermal filler is a popular and safe treatments that can help to restore fullness or create added volume in your lips.
So, what is a “lip flip”?
As we mentioned earlier, many people have dubbed cosmetic medicine injections above the upper lip as a “lip flip”. This can refer to cosmetic injectables in the upper lip, cupid's bow (the center of your top lip) or the corners of the mouth. This placement stops the muscle movement, which allows the lip to relax and ‘flip’ upwards, creating the appearance of a fuller upper lip. It’s a more subtle approach than lip filler, enhancing the natural shape of your top lip without adding any additional volume.
What is “lip filler”?
“Lip filler” is when dermal filler is injected into the lips and instantly adds volume, plumping the lips and helping smooth away any fine lines and wrinkles around the mouth.
At Caci, we use Juvaderm® dermal filler and Belotero®, injectable gels made from hyaluronic acid, which is a substance that can be found naturally in our bodies. This means not only do we know that our bodies can tolerate it well, but we can also break down the filler naturally over time. The filler formulation we use also contains a small amount of lidocaine, which is a local anaesthetic that helps to ensure a more comfortable experience both during and after injections. There are a few myths about lip fillers floating around out there, but it’s a very safe treatment that can give a great result.
The pros and cons of a ‘lip flip’
- It can be a great solution for you if you have a thinner or less full top lip than the bottom lip, or if your top lip tucks up or disappears when smiling giving you a ‘gummy smile’.
- The purpose of this treatment is to enhance the look and natural shape of your upper lip without adding extra volume, this is a good option for you if you are wanting to balance out the shape or size of your upper and lower lip.
- The effects of the Botox® and Xeomin® injections last 8-12 weeks..
- We’re always aiming for the overall best look for you, often this might be a combination of treatments.
- This treatment doesn’t actually make your lips fuller, as there is no change to the volume.
- If you are looking for a long-term solution, this might not cut it. Results are not as long-lasting compared to lip filler.
- It won’t smooth any existing fine lines or wrinkles around the mouth.
- If you are unhappy with the results of this treatment, you will have to wait for the effect to wear off in 8-12 weeks.
The pros and cons of a ‘lip filler’
- Lip Filler adds a natural-looking volume to your lips and gives you instant results that can last a long time.
- Lip filler is long-lasting. While results vary from person to person, lip fillers typically last between 8 and 24 months.
- Lip filler can add fullness to both your top and bottom lip.
- Lip filler helps to reduce existing fine lines and wrinkles around the mouth resulting in a plump and smooth appearance.
- More controlled fullness can be achieved with lip filler. Given that we can control how much lip filler is used, we can work with you to achieve your desired fullness and create your vision of the perfect pout.
- Over time your lip filler may need topping up as the body eventually breaks it down.
- Lip filler can cost you quite a bit initially, but we find it generally works out to be more cost-effective in the long run as treatments are needed less frequently.
- Although results from lip filler are instant, following your lip injections you may have some temporary swelling and/or bruising that can last up to two weeks.
Can you get both treatments?
Yes, almost always a ‘lip flip’ is done at the same time as filler or other treatment areas. If you have had Botox® or Xeomin® injected into your upper lip at another provider, you are still able to have lip fillers at Caci. Our goal is to achieve the look you’ll love. This is very dependent on your natural lips and the overall look that you are trying to achieve.
Lip injections and treatments at Caci
Botox® and Xeomin® are amongst our most popular treatments at Caci, we definitely recommend this for other areas to reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles. We can treat the forehead, crow's feet, frown lines or to lift the brows.
As with any cosmetic injectable treatment, it’s important to see the professionals. You’ll want to ensure that your treatment is performed by a trained and registered professional in a safe and hygienic environment.
How it works
1. Book a free consultation
To ensure that you get the best possible results, you will have a consultation before your treatment, where you can discuss and explain the type of result you’re hoping for. You may wish to bring photos along to this consultation if you have an example of your desired result for your lip enhancement.
2. Agree on the best approach for your dream lips
Depending on what you’re trying to achieve, our team will personalise a treatment plan to suit you. This will also give you an idea of how much your lip treatment will cost, and what to expect at your treatment. At Caci, we make paying for your treatment a breeze, with payment options available, as well as our Amerase®, a cosmetic injectables membership.
3. Get your lip treatment!
If you decide to proceed, the team will book you in for your lip treatment. We’ll make sure you feel confident about what happens at a treatment, how to prepare and what you need to know about aftercare. You’ll have luscious lips in no time!
Enhance your lips instantly at Caci
So, there you have it, our complete guide on lip injectables. Hopefully, you have a little more information to make the right decision for you. At Caci, we’re passionate about helping you feel confident in your skin. No matter what lip enhancement option you feel is best for you, our team of experts look forward to working with you to achieve your dream lips. Book a free consultation at your nearest Caci clinic now.
1. Botox®, Prescription Medicine For the treatment of frown lines and crow’s feet round the eyes Botox® has risks and benefits. Ask your doctor if Botox is right for you Botulinum toxin type A 50, 100, 200 Units. For product information check with your doctor or Consumer Medicine Information on www.medsafe.govt.nz Click for further details. Allergan, Auckland.
2. Juvederm Ultra™ & Ultra Plus™, Medical Device. Class III For the filling of medium size and deep facial wrinkles by injection into the skin. Juvederm™ has risks and benefits. Ask your doctor if Juvederm is right for you Volume (mL) 0.8mL Volume (mL) 1.0m hyaluronic acid + lidocaine. For product information check with your doctor or from product details with the supplier. Click for further details. Allergan, Auckland.
3. Belotero® Medical Device Class III to smooth facial wrinkles and folds, correct facial atrophic scars, restore or enhance the lips or restore facial volume Belotero has risk and benefits Ask your doctor if Belotero is right for you For product information check with your doctor or from product details with the supplier. Click for further details. Contains Sodium Hyaluronate Gel. Merz, Sydney. Distributed by Healthcare Logistics, Auckland
4. Xeomin® (incobotulinum toxin ) Prescription Medicine for the treatment of upper facial lines: glabellar frown lines, crow’s feet round the eyes, horizontal forehead lines Xeomin has risks and benefits. Ask your doctor if Xeomin is right for you (incobotulinum toxin A, purified Botulinum toxin type A 50 Units and 100 Units For product information check with your doctor or Consumer Medicine Information on www.medsafe.govt.nz . Click for further details Merz, Sydney. Distributed by Healthcare Logistics, Auckland
5. Botulinum toxin injections are prescription medicine for the treatment of frown lines , horizontal forehead lines and crow’s feet round the eyes. Botulinum toxin injections have risks and benefits. Ask your doctor if botulinum toxin injection is right for you. If you have side effects, see your doctor. You will need to pay for your botulinum toxin injection and clinic fees will apply. For details on precautions & side effects consult your doctor or go to www.medsafe.govt.nz . Botulinum toxin injections lasts about 4 months and further courses of treatment may be necessary. Should only be administered by trained medical professionals.